So, the long, difficult, emotional, expensive and very, very stressful process of finding a new home has become a legal reality. I now own a house – that needs much work and a great deal of getting used to, but, I own it, although do not get the keys until July 12th.
A friend told me today she cannot wait to get inside it and start painting, another has told me she is on standby with her steam cleaner. They are excited and full of ideas and oddly I feel a bit numb.
I am still emotionally detached, having not allowed myself to dream or plan or even think about it too much incase it all fell through. Even now I think I must temper any glee because there is SO MUCH to do and I have frankly, very little money left.
From the charity shop we picked up an Ikea sofa bed, its a bit hard but it is sturdy and plain, oh so plain, and it will enable the new living room to be the ‘fourth’ bedroom which we are losing. My lovely stepson is due home from Oz and Japanese granny is visiting too next month and it will earn its price tag (about 20% of the retail price).
Oldest is now back in Japan for nearly six weeks and I have youngest here with me until 15th July when she heads off for 2 weeks. (Youngest is now a platinum blonde – odd on a Japanese/Aussie but actually really cool…)
The plan is to clean and paint the new place to freshen it up then to live there while I budget and plan and prioritise what needs doing.
When we get the key I will put up some pics of how it is now and hopefully be able to post pics of the changes as they happen.
Last weekend I worked two long days. On Monday I drove to Preston to help oldest load up her stuff for storage and clean her flat. We did that on Tuesday in dreadful heat. Late in the afternoon I arrived in Manchester, stayed the night and then collected a pile of things from youngest’s room.
The drive home took 7 hours in appalling traffic, storms and roadworks. I then worked three long days in a row.
On Sunday lovely friends came down from London to cast their expert eye over the house that I hope to move to. The survey had flagged up some issues, and despite the amount of mostly cosmetic work needed, it was deemed a solid house. We met the neighbours and it all started to feel like it might actually happen. (Contracts are signed).
BUT the buyers of the flat (which must sell to top up my money) have decided to investigate what they feel is a discrepancy with the land title – without the input of solicitors, and have put the exchange date on hold. So far I am close to £1,000 out of pocket with fees for surveys, solicitors, conveyancing etc and the buyers could pull out at any moment with no penalties.
Both my dear friends said on Sunday that I looked stressed and exhausted. It is just how I feel. This has been such a hard few months. Placement finishes this week and there are still more things to do about the academic side of things. The days ahead never seem free of lists and jobs and cracks are definately appearing!!
Whatever the outcome, it will be dealt with but it will be hard to come this far to be let down literally days before exchanging.